– DR CHRISTINE LAIDLAW
The psychotherapy process can assist with the following:
- Depression and Bipolar Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders (incl. Separation Anxiety)
- Eating Disorders (Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge-eating)
- Substance-related problems and self-harm behaviours
- Trauma and Abuse
- Personality Disorders
- Relationship problems and conflicts (couple, family)
- Loss and Bereavement
- Work-related stress and issues
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Parent-Child relational difficulties
- Seperation / Divorce
- Personal Growth and Development
The career assessment process can assist with identifying and developing your unique profile of:
- Personality aspects
- Intellectual abilities
- and well-suited occupations
My therapeutic approach is drawn from a number of theories and therapies including the following:
- Relational Psychoanalytic Therapy
- Client-centred Therapy
- Ecosystemic Therapy
- Jungain Sandplay Therapy
- Transactional Analysis
- Family Therapy
- Solution-Focused Therapy
- Prepare/Enrich Programme for Couples
- Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples
- Child-centred Play Therapy
- Play Therapy based on Theraplay Principles
I also offer an eight week course for parents in an individual or group format utilising the international Circle of Security Parenting (COS-P) Programme which focuses on enhancing the parent-child attachment.
I am an HPCSA registered Clinical Psychologist in private practice in Bryanston Johannesburg, Gauteng. I completed my undergraduate BA degree and Honours Degree in Psychology at Stellenbosch University.
I completed my Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology (cum laude) at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University in Port Elizabeth gaining experience at the university clinic and private psychiatric hospital.
I completed my year of Community Service at Weskoppies Psychiatric Hospital in Pretoria working with adults and adolescents as well as families. I have been lecturing in the Department of Psychology at the University of South Africa since 2012 and Associate Professor in 2020.
During my training, I worked as a lay counsellor for five years. I have also worked as an Assessment Specialist for Adcorp Talent Resourcing conducting psychological assessments for government departments and private companies.
I believe in tailoring therapy to meet the needs of the individual, couple, family, or group.